Friday, February 29, 2008

A whole new meaning~!


I was at the Pudiyador, Vannandurai centre last sunday. Wow!!
The place looks fabulous. For someone who saw it on the first day it opened up - an unused corporation building freshly cleaned of years-old-grime, musty and plain - it looked remarkably well-loved, full of life and bursting with energy.
Charts on the wall monitor every child's individual performance in academics and extra-curricular activities. Library and store-room duties are assigned to kids who maintain them diligently. And the decibel levels were ear-splitting as volunteers from Ivolunteer were just wrapping up the sunday's events and games. Pudiyador, Vannandurai is at home and is second-home to most of the kids now.
I still remember how I freaked out when I had to manage a film screening for the kids on the day Pudiyador Vannandurai started. After that I have gone there only occasionally, though every time I meet someone who could help us, I promptly do a PR fix....theatre, puppeteers, teachers, funders, potential volunteers.
It is nothing compared to the ground work that Pudiyador volunteers (balaji and co) do at the various centres or what the core committee does when organising funds, exhibitions, and programmes. But I am really glad that however fleeting and insignificant, I do my bit. But it is humbling when I see how much mekie and and the rest of the gang (manix, divs, swaps) does, even from as far as Ann Arbor.
If you'll have any good books for children, in tamil and english - on science particularly - do send them to Pudiyador, Vannandurai, Adayar, Chennai - 40. Alternately, if you know me, you could drop it with me. And if you have a story to tell or time to help someone with their homework, do let us know.

3 comments:

mekie said...

All credit goes to Manix, Divya and Swapnaa (and the co-ords in Madras). Good to know that the center is going strong.

swapnaa said...

I don't know why, but I feel like saying "Thanks!"! Its always great to hear accounts of our kids, especially when they paint vivid pictures like yours did! :) To add to Meki's post, the folks that pretty much run the whole damn show in Madras are Vinodh and Chandra. And the co-ords are Balaji and Sahadevan.

ADMIN said...

Submit your site in free no.1 web directory:

http://tagoat.com/toplinks/submit.php?su_categ=