Saturday, February 16, 2008

Summer of 2008~!

Its summer again.....the mango tree outside our office canteen is in full bloom and today I saw small little mangoes announcing their season.
I love summers, despite the sweltering heat and sweat. The warm colours of long evenings, the tender coconuts at bus stops, cucumber and watermelon salads sold on the suburban train, and people finally waking up to make sure that their taps dont leak. After all, fighting with neighbours over a few buckets of water is not far behind. I am particulary glad that we will see less of mosquitoes, they have been dotting the city's sky like dust for the past few months.
Summer once meant going to the beach with my grandfather, playing from dawn to dusk at my maternal grandmother's home and the delightful knowledge that no one could ask me to put down my story book for anything else. Later it was bright internships with friends, where work was for fun's sake.
I wonder how this summer will be, last year wasnt bad....I made new friends~!!

Tagore in A Moment's Indulgence:
"Today the summer has come at my window with its sighs and murmurs; and
the bees are plying their minstrels at the court of the flowering grove.
Now it is time to sit quite, face to face with thee, and to sing
dedication of life in this silent and overflowing leisure."

No comments: