Friday, May 02, 2008

Burp!

Oh yes, I am going to go out for dinner. Actually, someone is organising a treat and I am to join on the condition that I suggest the perrrrrrfect place for an eclectic mix of veggies, chickentarians and a german with a sensitive tongue.

Being an eating-out primitive, I outsourced knowledge from an office pal. And this one is a real treasure, she can hold fort over an entire lunch session going on about the nuances of hilsa cooking! Now, of what use is it to precis-write excellent gourmet insights into an LMS (thats what my messages are popularly known as)?? Ergo, I offer my accquired expertise:

Bella Ciao - authentic Italian, cheesy and terrace seating. A winner from what I hear despite the price (400 a meal) and its location (choked Nungambakkam high road). Benjorang on TTK road sounds to be similar.

For Japanese and Vietnamese food, I am told there are places like Akasaka, Lotus and Dahlia. And there is the wide spectrum of chinese places: dragon motiffed, dark ones where we can hardly read the menu and are forced to order gobi manchurian from memory - to authentic chinese places where the meat is hardly cooked. These guys forget that our taste buds were conquered long ago by our north-east brothers who finely balance namma patti's garam masala with dollops of ajinomoto.

Places like Wangs Kitchen, Golden Dragon and Chinatown are somewhere in between. There is also Sigri above Mainland China, which I am told is good.

Once upon a time, I worked on some ads for Copper Chimney, and I cant forget that as a client, they were made in bad taste. Eden on the other hand gives some nostalgic memories as an intern and yes, their menu card is a writer's delight.

If you feel like ghooey sabjis and gheey rotis, there is Peshwari (Cathedral road), Tandoor, Kabul and Basera (nearTiruvanmiyur). In Basera, you can eat on tree tops! Now, that is something I must lobby for, even if it means having to arrange for transport.

For mallu food, there is Tharavad and Kumarakom, but then what will veggies like me eat at these places?? Nibble on the banana leaf?? Sorry people, no Karimeen curry for you'll. The same goes for Bong food, not so popular in the city. Must be the mustard. My sis once had to painfully control her puke after a fishy dish until her host finally left the table. Sorry bong pals, no offence here, I love your sandesh and rosogollas. My bong friends btw generally swear by Bayleaf in Gopalapuram, when they feel like a quick, homey, mustard fix.

I am really tempted to try Aiwo adjoining Barista (Nungambakkam High Road), for its buffet on a conveyor and tempting names of dishes. Krish Ashok has a nice blog about it. The best part is that your buffet comes in a conveyor belt and at just 200 for a person. Clear winner!
New Yorker again on the advice of blog guru Krish Ashok sounds quite tempting, maybe I will get the chickentarians to treasure hunt for a leg piece in the salad bowl.

Personally, I love masala dosa at Saravana Bhavan and authentic Udipi sambar. But I guess, one must occasionally go to places where we are forced to curse under our acidic breath for an hour as the chefs decide where to shop. I must remember my pattani sundal and tehelka for company.

2 comments:

mekie said...

Well, I remember from a Metro Plus review from long back that Aiwo is for those who are watching their waistlines. They have the calorie sticker on all the food items rolling down the belt. :) And btw, the McD's and other fast food places in NY city have been forced to display the calorie count on their menu from this month onwards.

I had lunch at New Yorker last year. It's OK food - Amru and Mexican dishes - nothing too great.

You should definitely go to the Thai place and review it. I love Thai food (or at least, the fusion Thai that is cooked outside Thailand, I heard).

Do you frequent coffee shops too? How about a review of the good ones? The Spencer Plaza ones serve over-priced and watery cappuccinos and mochas.

Romila said...

Hmm! mouth watering post. I've always made it a point to hog at
Saravana Bhavan whenever I visit Chennai.