Sunday, September 16, 2007

the many romilas of romila thapar

Romila (0f rustic notes fame) says that she was named after Romila Thapar as well!!
Her father too was inspired by thapar's intellect and perspective. Given the great historian's renown, it looks like there are more of our breed.

I am yet to meet Romila Thapar though having missed an opportunity when she was in Madras for a lecture last year. But I hope to meet her soon.

Her interview on BBC was riveting: she shattered myths on Indian history and said how ideology is defined and defended for gain. One line that sums it all, "everyone has a view of the past".

I admire her academic persona, her easy dismissal of hindutva critcism and her refusal of the Padma award as she accepts academic honours only.

It is with shame that I accept not reading more of her, save a book on Indian Tales for children, read in 5th standard and Early Indian History (Penguin) in fits and starts.

But I have heard some of her lectures online like this Katz memorial lecture: http://depts.washington.edu/uwch/katz/20042005/romila_thapar.html

Being named after romila thapar always reminds me of my parent's and aunt's great dreams and also that it is possible to assert truth and not give in to power.

I hope to get to know more of the woman who inspired many dads to dream that their daughters will grow up to be like her.

To Romila Thapar and other romilas named after her.
romila ;)

2 comments:

Romila said...

In north, Romila is quite common. I had 3 classmates with the same name and we were called with our initials by teachers/mates. Although I am not quite sure if they also share the same name source with us.

My dad's awe of Romila Thapar did brush in on me too and I keep following up on her works every now and then. Thanks for sharing her lecture clip.

At a loss for a blogger handle said...

Any idea what the name means? And yeah, my mum named me after the lady too.
And @romila: I didn't know it was a common name in the north.

Actually, I have been nurturing the belief that it ain't an Indian name at all. I would love to know about its origins. Do help if you can.