Thursday, August 30, 2007

Best friend's wedding! (Chap-6)

Myalpore, Kapaleeswar temple, under the aegis of Nandi - 30.8.2007

Radhika's wedding today was one-of-a-kind!

A temple ritual somehow seemed to me more austere and serious. Add to it, tying the knot right in front of the main shrine. But there was also something merry and beautiful about all the chaos.

Today there were half a dozen or more weddings in such close proximity that guests spilt over and the nadaswaram players were confused which wavelength they had to tune into. But kids of different marraige parties were simply pooling in strength for games that required many players.

As I browsed the various wedding parties for my friend's, I came across a common former colleague - Kala maam. As she dresses like a star everyday, I didnt find her costume out of the ordinary, but several passers-by gave her the second-glances. I promised to lead her to rad's party once I found my own destination, but I simply couldnt catch sight of her later.

But the cheery atmosphere on a pleasant morning with the heady feel of a chaotic temple caught on to me. The bride too was looking radiant. There is something beautiful about the harassed and frazzled-looking hindu brides.

Despite the stuffy proximity of extended relatives, each shouting instructions in every available direction; rising soot, heavy wedding garlands bearing her down; yards of saree that has to be tucked away often at several places; wisps of hair all over and a riotous clash of several bright colours....these brides do look beautiful. Making it an unsolved paradox of modern times.

After rads tied the knot, or rather as the knot tightened over her neck, I took a walk to the main shrine.

I enjoy visiting Saivite shrines for their stark colour contrasts: deep black statues lit by oil lamps throwing an umbered glow, colourful flowers contrastingly used to decorate the Gods...less jewellery and more colour. And with a haze of agarbathi's creating a divine mist, my friend's wedding seemed truly mesmerising.

The lone grim reaper was a flower seller who beckoned me to leave my sandals under her gaze but before I could be struck by her magnanimity she blackmailed me into buying flowers. I didnt carry any money having left my bag in the car, but she was adamant that I pay her after I visit the shrine. I didnt like being needled so but had no choice.

I did walk all the way back later to settle my account but my good mood so enveloped me, that I gave her a part of the pooja flowers received at the temple. She was stumped and I walked away having won the round and threw some pori into the tank for the ever-hungry fishes.

congrats rads, all the best!
romie ;)

No comments: